THE MUSEUM OF SANT’EUSTORGIO
The Museum of the Basilica of Sant’Eustorgio includes the early Christian burial ground, the Chapter house, the monumental sacristy of the ancient Dominican monastery, and the Portinari Chapel.
The Chapter house is documented as one of the buildings of the Dominican monastery since the 13th century, and it features a vaulted ceiling supported by columns. Some paintings and a polychrome-stone statue of Saint Eugenius, from the late 13th century, are on display here.
The monumental sacristy was built in 1565 and its walnut cabinets – commissioned to a Milanese carver by the Negroli brothers – were installed soon afterwards. Liturgical objects and vessels and precious reliquaries are displayed inside the cabinets, giving evidence of the devotion and affection of many Milanese families for the Dominican monastery. Several of these objects, which are referred to in the archives, are unfortunately now lost.